The campanile (bell tower) of St Mark’s in Venice collapsed on the 14th of July, 1902.
For twelve days before the building’s fall, a large crack had begun to appear on the structure. The collapse occurred at 9:45am, during which time the logetta was also destroyed. The only casualty of the disaster was the caretaker’s cat.
A fake photo of the collapse was widely circulated in the world’s media at the time:
The decision was made to rebuild the campanile to look exactly as it had been, though reinforcements were used inside, and an elevator was added. This is the structure that today stands in St Mark’s Square.
As seen in 1949: