To begin the Christmas season, here is an amazing holly-themed muslin gown from the 1820s.
It is in the Met collection, and I discovered it via Dr Kate Stradin‘s amazing fashion history Twitter account.
The manor house of Cheylesmore, England in a watercolour and ink painting by William Henry Brooke, dated the 25th of December, 1820. Parts of the building date back to the year 1250, and some of its most famous residents were Edward, the Black Prince and Henry VI.
Unfortunately, much of what did survive the Second World War was demolished in a development project in the 1950s.
Cheylesmore now makes up part of the southern half of the city of Coventry in the West Midlands.
The coronation of George IV of the United Kingdom, the flamboyant and infamous son of “Mad” King George, took place on the 19th of July, 1821.
The Coronation as painted by watercolourist James Stephanoff.
The new King had served as Prince Regent through the final years of the Napoleonic Wars as his father’s health had continued to decline, a period that was marked by great excess and frivolity amongst the upper classes.
The Coronation Procession winds its way through a park in London.
Though he married, George IV and his wife, Caroline, intensely disliked each other, and she was barred from attending the ceremonies.
Their only child, the Princess Charlotte, had died in childbirth in 1817, which eventually paved the way for the long reign of Queen Victoria.
The Shri Swaminarayan Temple, Ahmedabad in India was established on the 24th of February, 1822.
The temple, as it appeared in an 1866 book:
The old Vauxhall Bridge in 1829.
On the 26th of May, 1906, the new Vauxhall Bridge opened in London. By the time it opened it was five years behind schedule, following a construction period that had brought all sorts of problems.
The new bridge, photographed in 2009. X
The Prince of Wales, who would go on to be King George V, oversaw the opening ceremony.
The bridge was originally built to carry trams, but the tram tracks were abandoned in 1951.
In the 1820s, some 11300 low class Londoners lost their homes as they were cleared out to make way for the development of St Katharine Docks. The docks opened on the 25th of October, 1828.
Circa 1825 plan showing what needed to be demolished to make way for the docks.
Badly damaged by German bombing in World War Two, the area is now home to offices and private residences.