On the 18th of September, 1837 Charles Lewis Tiffany and John B. Young opened their “stationery and fancy goods emporium” in New York City. Originally called “Tiffany, Young and Ellis” the name was changed to Tiffany & Company when Tiffany took control in 1853.
From then on, the company’s emphasis was on jewellery.
In 1870 they made their move to number 15 Union Square West, the building that can be seen in the picture below:
Tiffany & Company, storage area, circa 1887
In the store circa 1887. On the left is Charles Lewis Tiffany.
(Notice how many women made it into the picture?!)